Des Moines Arts Festival
Click to sign up online
Cowles Montessori Parent Group (CMPG) will be once again running one of the four nonprofit-run beer and wine sales tents at the Des Moines Arts Festival, and new this year we will also be running the Iowa Craft Beer tent! Volunteering at the festival is fun and easy – it’s a great way to get to know other Cowles parents at one of the biggest events in Des Moines, while raising money for fine arts programs at Cowles. In 2012 we made over $5500! Last year’s booth provided money for:
- The Des Moines Metro Opera presented “Sid the Serpent” at Cowles
- The Lower Elementary classes went to “The Nutcracker” performed by Iowa Dance Theater
- The Windy City Players performed “Tom Sawyer” at Cowles
- Mr. Egherman & Mr. Moody’s classes saw “To Kill a Mockingbird” at The Des Moines Playhouse
- The Pre-K classes attended “Eric Carle – Treasured Stories” at the Civic Center
- The Des Moines Playhouse conducted Pre-K drama workshops at Cowles
- The Lower Elementary classes saw “ImaginOcean” at the Civic Center
- Shakespeare is Elementary led a week-long class on Romeo and Juliet for the Upper Elementary
- Materials for classroom art projects for bid at our annual auction fundraiser
- It partly funded the outdoor stage that was built summer 2012
- It will partly fund visiting artist Pam Dennis to work with Cowles students this spring
How much time? Each new volunteer needs to complete a one hour training session, and then shifts at the booth are typically 3 hours long. You can work up to six hours in any given day.
Who can volunteer? Anyone 18 or older – anyone who might want to have fun while making money for our kids at Cowles! Get a group together to work a shift – Volunteers do NOT need to be Cowles affiliated to come join in the fun – family or friends, the more the merrier!
When is the training? The training sessions are on Monday, May 13th at 11:30am and 5:30pm and Monday, June 10th at 11:30am and 5:30pm. They last about one hour.
Training is required to volunteer! If you volunteered in a previous year, you don’t need to go through training again.
When and where is the festival? The Des Moines Arts Festival is June 28-30, 2013 at Western Gateway Park.
Where do I sign up? Online at our volunteer website. All volunteers will get a free Cowles T-shirt, so be sure to mark your shirt size when signing up!
If you have any questions, please contact Melissa Winters at email@example.com.